What Is A Dental Turbine Handpiece?
A dental turbine handpiece is a hand-held device that operates at high speed. The dentist places a diamond or carbon bur on its head to treat dental caries. When activated, the turbine causes the bur to spin with enough speed to cut the tooth's hard tissues and remove caries simultaneously.
The dental turbine handpiece can be electric or air-driven. Electric turbines are powered by a small electric motor.
On the contrary, air-driven turbines are more frequently used by most dentists. They need to be connected to the dental unit to function and are activated by a pedal. The pedal causes pressurized air to flow through the hoses and activate the mechanism inside the dental handpiece turbine.
All turbines spray water into the bur to refrigerate it and prevent heat from damaging the dental nerve.
Furthermore, some turbines are integrated with a LED light in their heads. This improves visibility during treatment.
Dental turbine handpieces also are known as air-driven hand pieces that use air energy to form rotational motion and rotate the cutting instruments. It consists of an air compressor with a water cooling facility, which can be adjustable. It works by pushing air via hand piece, this air spins a built-in turbine which eventually leads to rotary motion of the burs.
When choosing and buying a dental turbine hand pieces one should look for the following mentioned requirements.
- Lightweight, so to perform procedures with ease without putting weight on hand muscles.
- The bearings within hand pieces should be of high quality as the bearings are sensitive and are susceptible to wear and tear.
- Easy for sterilization and autoclave.
- A good handle and bur retention site providing a stable grip to work efficiently.
- Operates on multiple speeds.
- Budget-friendly and financially manageable.
- Reliable and well-proven for their efficiency.
The dental turbine hand pieces are a fundamental and integral part of dental treatments to regain the health of the teeth and maintain the teeth at the best level. The disinfection and sterilization of these tools are important to prevent infections. I addition to that, regular maintenance and servicing of these dental tools are crucial for smooth and efficient work and their longevity.